Saturday, February 3, 2007

Week 1

Well hey there everyone! I am sorry I have not put much on here yet. I am normally without a phone or internet, but I am able to use a friends for awhile. So, here is the scoop so far. Everything is amazing. I absolutely love it here. The weather has been great and the people are wonderful. The girl I am living with, Kristy is my age. She has lived here her whole life and now is a dairy farmer as well as a teacher's assistant at the school. It is great to have a friend here and someone to show me around. Plus, I love living on the farm. If you didn't know, cows are my favorite animal, so being around them all the time is awesome!! I haven't been out of Waihi much yet to explore, but that will come soon. The other day, Kristy's boss, the other farmer, took us for sack rides around the paddock. Basically he tied a thick bag to the back of his four wheeler and pulled us behind it through one of the cow pastures. It was sooo fun, although I now have grass burn on my butt! haha. Friday I had my first meeting at the school (school hasn't started here for the year yet) with all the new teachers. I have meetings all this coming week and then the kids come back on Friday. I will be working with two or three teachers, not sure yet. I will be teaching middle school English as well as a social studies class, which will be interesting!
Yesterday, Kristy, her three younger brothers, megan (my friend from UMD who will be here with my for the four months) and I went to walk the Karangahake Gorge. It was beautiful. I took lots of pics and hopefully I will be able to put them up soon. Then we went to the beach. Waihi beach is gorgeous. It is the safest surfing beach in all of New Zealand, because the waves aren't very big. But it is great! I went body boarding! I am gradually getting better at it after Kristy's 13 year old brothers taught me! But now I have body board burn all over my stomach. It was well worth it. This Tues. is Waitangi Day, which is a national holiday, so I hope to hit the beach again before school kicks in.
As for the pics, I am unable to download them right now, something is funky with the internet here. So hopefully I will be able to do that soon. I have taken tons, so I hope to put them on soon!! Take care.

3 comments:

amerikanerin said...

a burnt butt, a burnt stomach... at least they cancel each other out by being on differnt sides of the body :)

kjo said...

It sounds like you have having tons of fun! Take it easy on the old bode! You need to work it on the beach to pick up those surfing hotties ;)

Robbie said...

FUn Fun... now that you are starting to master the body boarding skills, you should have some of those hot surfers teach you a few tricks with a surfboard. Good luck and think sexy.