Tuesday, November 27, 2007

November


I also thought that I would have way more time to update this thing! Sorry, I guess life gets busy, huh?
Well things are going well here. Only 3 weeks left of the first semester! Then it's home for Christmas. I cannot believe how fast life flies by!
There was one great story that I forgot to tell in my October blog. I shall call this story "Flea Market".

Flea Market
It was a Saturday afternoon and rumor had it that there was a community flea market/rummage sale at City Hall. It was supposed to be the weekend before but no shoppers showed up so they did it again. Well, Mrs. Stacks (the principal) said she we should check it out. So, Mel, Nikki and I headed out for City Hall. When we got to the sale, there was no one shopping. It was like 5 women sitting around the sales tables and us. There was nothing there! But we browsed around anyway, prenending to be interested. Then Phyllis, good ole' Phyllis, (one of the lady's who works at City Hall) came up to Mel and me and tried to get us to buy a pastel floral Christmas wreath. We had to say no numerous times, before she left us alone. We had now checked out all the tables but one. This table had some random items on it. Apparently in Saint Paul people not only bring clothes and floral wreaths to a flea market, they also clean out their kitchen cupboards and freezers and bring whatever they find in there with them. For example, for sale they had a few half used spice containers. You know, thyme, lemon pepper, cinnamon, etc. There were tons of used spices for sale. To make it even better, there was a half opened ecomomy sized package of frozen hot dogs for sale as well! We ended up opting for some of the bake sale items instead. We escaped the flea market with 2 pigs-in-a-blanket and 2 mini-mini- loaves of banana bread for only $14.00!! Ha!

November:
This month has been crazy, but good. I honestly don't know where it went. We celebrated Veteran's Day during our November Saturday school. We invited all of the local Veterans to come to an Honorary luncheon presented by the students. It was sooo cool! We taught the kids the pledge and national anthem and all about the history of the flag. It was a great day. One of the veterans got really emotional with the students and said that it was so nice to finally be thanked for what they had done. I think that was when the meaning of the day really hit the students.

Thanksgiving:
I thought Tahnksgiving might be really hard this year, being my first Thanksgiving away from home. But, it was really fun. Of course, I missed my family, but the day was still good. The Wednesday before that was my second parent-teacher conferences, which went well. That night we had a baking party at my sister's house with Mrs. Stacks and her 2 girls. We made 8 pies, the turkey, cranberry salad, stuffing, mashed potatoes, onion tartlets, and rolls!!! Then on Thanksgiving, we watched the Macy's Parade that Nikki taped, since it came on here at 4 am and the National Dog Show. That is a family tradition. After that we packed up Piece-O with all the food and headed to Stacks for dinner. It was great and there was tons of food!!!!!! Friday, Mel and I set up our "Christmas Tree". I will post pics of that later! Then we decided to head to "the" store for the Day After Thanksgiving sales. They had 1 liter cokes half price and doritos were half price!!!! It was a wild 5 minutes of shopping!!!

Now we are back in school. Time will fly by so fast I know! See ya in Decemeber!:)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So do the coast guard men ever come into your port? I would think they'd be pretty cute and date one of them if I was you, HA! Good luck with all that. JDM

Anonymous said...

PS Not that that means anything, just a thought.

Megan said...

Beth...love the flea market story...although I really wish you'd bought the floral wreath to decorate your house with. It was SO good to talk to you this week! Miss you like crazy and I wish I could see you when you're home! :(