Wednesday, September 9, 2009

So Much to Tell

Wow! Once again, time has escaped me and it's 2 months since I last blogged! Well, there has been a big change in my life. No, I am not getting married, 'nor have I had a baby. I moved!! I am now living in Exeter, New Hampshire! It is wonderful and I love it. So, now, the details, although, I will try to be brief.

In early June, I began applying for admissions positions all over. As I think I might have previously mentioned, rumors were flying around Northland that there would be massive layoffs, so I thought it's better to be safe than sorry and started sending out apps. Well, about 6 weeks later, I got a call from the University of New Hampshire for a phone interview. I was super excited and as soon as I got off the phone I begin checking out the college more and it's location. The phone interview was tough, but I made it to the on campus interview portion. I was called on a Tuesday afternoon about the interview. So, Wednesday after work, I drove the 4 hours to the Minneapolis airport to fly out the next morning. I got to Durham, NH at 9 that night and interviewed the next morning. The interview was really intense and lasted almost 4 hours. I somehow felt really at peace though and was more excited than nervous. After the interview, I checked out the area and loved it!! I knew I wanted this position. After 2 weeks of not hearing, I had assumed, I hadn't gotten the job. Well, lo and behold, I was offered the position of Diversity Admissions counselor! I accepted and last week drove with my wonderful parents on the 23 hour drive through Canada to get here! We drove through the Green Mountains of Vermont, which are amazing!!! We arrived on a Friday night, where I was able to see the house I am living in for the first time! I was blessed to have found a place before moving here. The girl who interviewed me, is also an admissions counselor and was looking for a roomate. The house is awesome!! We moved all my stuff in that night. Sat. we bought some things for the house and unpacked. That night I drove my parents up the shore of Maine where we got to see the waves crashing against the coastline in the aftermath of a hurricane. It was really cool. We had a wonderful lobster dinner that night too right near a lighthouse and continued to watch the waves! Sunday I took my parents to campus, where they bought their UNH gear. It was really cute to see how excited they were for me! My mom even asked, "do you think we should get the dogs UNH dog dishes?" haha. Then I drove then along the beach to see all the ritzy houses. That night we went into Portsmouth, which is the happenin' town nearby. It was awesome. My parents left Monday morning after I left for work. It was so wonderful to have them there! I cannot imagine doing all of that alone! They are angels!

Last Monday I started work and I love it! It will definitely push me a lot and I know challenges will arise, but I also know that God put me in this position for a reason and I am excited to see how he uses me here! My co-workers are great and super helpful. One night after work last week, we all went out for appetizers afterwards. It was so nice! This past weekend, Chelsea, my roomate, and I had people over for a backyard fire. We made nachos and smores and my friend Eric, who is a co-worker brought his guitar. It was so much fun! Saturday we did some shopping and Sunday I went down to the beach to watch all the surfers and sea-kayakers. It was so cool! Monday, a group of us went and hiked Mount Major which overlooks NH's biggest lake. It was gorgeous! I know I can definitely get used to all of this!!

Okay, so that was the short version and I have lots more to say. But I am off for now. I will post pics very soon!!

1 comment:

b-head said...

Yay Beth! That's wonderful! I'm so glad to hear that you're settling in so well and that you were given such a fabulous job. God gave you that one, eh? Excellent all round.