Monday, July 21, 2008

School/ Rose Urban Exchange:

The last few months of school flew by like the rest of the year. I took part in the Rose Urban Rural Exchange at the end of April. Five middle school students from Wasilla, AK came to Saint Paul Island for the week to experience life in a rural part of Alaska. I was in charge of organizing and planning the week. We had lots of great hang out time where the kids from Wasilla got to meet our students. We had a wonderful Halibut and King Crab dinner for students and host families. We even had a traditional dinner with Sea Lion meatballs! The students got to see all the different areas of life on our island and what it was like to go to a small school. One week after they came to visit us, I took four of our middle schoolers to Wasilla. It was such an amazing experience! Watching my students have one eye-opening experience to another was indescribable! They got to go to school in Wasilla where there are 800 kids in the middle school. That’s double the population of our island! We also got to go to Martin Buser’s Kennel. He has won the Iditarod on numerous occasions and told us all about it. We even got to hold his puppies. One of my students had never pet a dog before (we don’t have them on our island)! We went to a farm and got to see baby calves and even spent a day in Anchorage checking out a movie, dinner at a restaurant, a water park and native youth Olympics. I even saw a few moose! In fact I almost hit one!
The last few weeks of the school year are a blur. They sprinted right in front of me. And after having completed my first year of teaching and A LOT of thinking, I decided not to accept the contract for the following school year. Although I can honestly say it was one of the best experiences of my life, I was ready to be closer to home. It was a really hard decision to make, especially when I looked at my students. I truly cared for them so much, but I knew it was not fair to them, if I knew that I couldn’t give them all they deserved. So, I entered into one of the scariest moments in my life… the unknown. I had no clue what I was going to do, where I was going to live, when I would find a job! But I knew that I made the right decision and that something, somewhere would work out. I finished out the school year, cleaned my classroom, said a teary good-bye to my wonderful students and awesome school staff and headed once again for the lower 48.

No comments: