Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Best Night Ever

So, Megan read in the newspaper that there was indoor lawn bowling Tuesday nights at a local church. It said "Everyone Welcome! Free for your first time." Megan did a lot of lawn bowling when she was in Australia and loved it. So we thought, why not, right? We arrived at the church to see a sea of gray hair. We obviously didn't know it was a senior citizen thing! The closest person in age to us was in his fifties. And he was younger than the rest by twenty years. We sort of stood in the doorway just looking around when a woman came up to us and said, "new young people!" Well, we were introduced to the whole lot and everyone came to shake our hands. They gave Megan and I instructions on how to play and watched us practice so they could give us pointers. Before the real games began, it was time for announcements. The first one was, "Thank you to Doris for the new kneeling pads for us, they are lovely," and everyone clapped. The next was "it's great to see some old familiar faces here and to see two new young ones." And again everyone clapped for Megan and I. Then we were put on teams. My team did pretty well. I was by far the worst one there, but they all clapped for me everytime I bowled and gave me pointers. It was so nice to meet some new friends and they want Megan and I to join their league. It was one of the funniest nights we have had here! Who knows, maybe we will!

No comments: