Saturday, March 17, 2007

Year 7 Camp

This past week I went to Totora Springs Camp with my year 7 kids (10-11 year olds). It was a blast. The kids had different stations to go to throughout the day. I was in charge of damper cooking. Cool, I thought. What the heck is damper? Well, I was in charge of building a fire with the kids and then they cooked the damper, which is like a scone mix that you mix with water, put on a stick and cook in the fire. The first day was...well....a learning experience. It rained most of the day, so the fire building was a little sketchy and I wasn't sure what the damper was supposed to look like, so that didn't go so great. But the second day I got the hang of it and it was much better! I also got to go to some of the stations and do the activities with the kids. I did the low ropes course, the flying fox (zip line through the trees), abseiling (repelling down a wall), and shooting. The second afternoon the kids got to use the hydro-slide. It is the second biggest water slide in the southern hemisphere. I went down it 4 times with the kids. I have never been so bruised and sore! It was wild. We even sent one parent who went down the slide to the hospital for stitches!
That night we had a dance with the kids. It was hilarious hearing them belt out to Kelly Clarkson with their little accents! Over all, I had a blast with the kids!

2 comments:

Keldog said...

haha, great to hear that YOU weren't the one on your way to the hospital this time, betho! haha!! making fires, cooking, rope courses,sounds like nesbit! love the pics of you & the tubes too. haha hillarious! i think you could start something, a fad, w/ those wetsuits. where can i get one?

momala said...

Middle Schoolers?? You and Aunt Joni are the ones to teach them. Great job, we are sooo proud of you!
Love and misses,
Momala and Popsicle