Monday, March 2, 2009

This weekend was so nice. Saturday morning I got up to the sun shining through my bedroom windows. Around noon, I headed south to Shell Lake, WI for some much needed girl time with my college roomates and their sisters. My good friend Katie, and her sister Jess, and I met up at "The Potter's Shed" to make some mosaics. We had a blast! It was so good to catch up with them and just have fun making art. Unfortunately, we didn't take into consideration that the place closed at 4. I didn't start glueing my pieces down until quarter after 3, and the other girls where in the same place as me. We were almost a bit stressed about how we were going to get it all done, but we did and everything looked great! I mosaic-ed a cupboard door that I turned on it's side and put hooks on it. I used both glass pieces and buttons and put two flowers in the middle of the door with a swirl of buttons and then random glass around all of that. I will post pics soon. They do the grouting there, so I won't get it for a few weeks.
After the mosaic experience, we headed to pick up the other girls. Kayla and her sister Amanda were helping paint their parents new house. It is gorgeous!! They are building on their own private lake. I saw the house a few months ago, but it was only the framework at that time, now the walls and ceilings have been put up. It is going to be amazing! The five of us girls and Katie's husband Ryan, went out for dinner that night and had a chance to catch up on everything. Then it was time for the main event; the real reason for our girlie get-together. We went to the "Miss Shell Lake Pageant". It was hilarious!! Katie and Kayla were both former Miss Shell Lake royalty, which made it even more fun. This year's theme was "Hick Town". The posters around town for the pageant were hand drawn pictures of cowboy boots with the contestants names on sherriff badges. When we got to the pageant, the decorations consisted of a haybale and paper cutout cowboy boots, and the ticket stand was wrapped in faux barn wood paneling. It was great. The show started off with the MC stumbling over her announcement of the opening number. The 4 contestants danced to "Boot Scootin' Boogie." They were all a little off and we weren't sure if it was a lack of talent or if it was intentional. It was a treat. The talents consisted of one girl singing to a backed up tape and was off just enough that you could hear the voice on the tape. The next girl's talent was photography. She had numerous photos of fireworks on a slideshow presentation and a handful of out-of-focus shots of her friends and pets. The third contestant did a hip-hop dance. She had been taking dance for one year so far, so it was a little off, but decent. The last girl played her trumpet, and about 4 minutes through her song, she botched up and asked to start over. I felt so bad for her!! But in the end, she ended up being crowned Miss Shell Lake 2009. It was quite the show!! Afterwards, we went back to Katie's family's house and hung out.
Yesterday morning Katie and her family headed out to the 8:15 church service, so I threw on my clothes and headed home. I was feeling kind of blah and a little down on the way home. Maybe because it's always hard to leave my friends. I got home just in time to hear the downstairs neighbor screaming her lungs out to her kids. I watched the kids climb into the car and they all took off with the mom. I was feeling kind of shaken up after all the drama and decided I needed to get out of the house. So, I went to Walmart to pick up some craft supplies. I got home and decided to read instead of craft and finished Twilight. It was pretty good! Then, I fell asleep on the couch for a few hours and got up feeling a little groggy and out of it. But a quick phonecall to Katie woke me up again. Then I started working on a painting for the living room that I have wanted to do for ages. It turned out really cute! I'll post pics soon. Then Claire and I went out to dinner to catch uo on our weeks. It was a pretty busy weekend, but also really great!
Tonight I have a work-free evening!!!! Woo-hoo!! I am hoping to finish another painting and then some friends and I are planning to head out to see "Slumdog Millionaire." I heard it's great, so I am excited!

No comments: